Andrew Garfield Reacts to ‘Spider-Man’ Rumors and Denies Involvement

  • Andrew Garfield again denied his involvement in “Spider-Man: No Way Home” in an interview with Variety.
  • The added said that he knows nothing he says will convince fans that he’s being honest.
  • Fans think that Garfield and Tobey Maguire will join Tom Holland in the upcoming Marvel film. 

Andrew Garfield has once again weighed in on the possibility of appearing in the third installment of Tom Holland’s “Spider-Man” franchise with previous Spidey portrayer Tobey Maguire, but he knows that fans will never be satisfied by his response. 

“I understand why people are freaking out about the concept of that because I’m a fan as well,” Garfield said in a new interview with Variety. “You can’t help but imagine scenes and moments of ‘Oh, my God, how fucking cool would it be if they did that?'”

The 38-year-old actor doubled down on his denial, saying: “But it’s important for me to say on the record that this is not something I’m aware I am involved in. But I know I’m not going to be able to say anything that will convince anyone that I don’t know what’s happening. No matter what I say, I’m fucked. It’s either going to be really disappointing for people or it’s going to be really exciting.”

Maguire was the first actor to portray Peter Parker/Spider-Man in a major movie, beginning with “Spider-Man” in 2002. He returned for sequels released in 2004 and 2007 as part of Sam Raimi’s trilogy. 

Garfield took over the mantle years later, portraying the webslinger in Sony’s “The Amazing Spider-Man” movies that hit theaters in 2012 and 2014.

Garfield later spoke candidly about feeling “heartbroken” by the direction his franchise went in, telling Amy Adams: “Story and character were actually not top of the priority list, ultimately, and I found that really, really tricky.”

Andrew Garfield the Amazing Spider MAn

Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man.

Sony Pictures


Rumors of Garfield and Maguire’s involvement in “Spider-Man: No Way Home” have persisted since 2020. 

In October 2020, FandomWire published an article stating that, according to an unnamed source at Sony (the studio that co-produces the films with Marvel), the two actors signed on to reprise their roles in the forthcoming movie.

A representative for Sony Pictures later told Entertainment Tonight Canada: “Those rumored castings are not confirmed.”

In December 2020, Collider reported the involvement of several past “Spider-Man” actors in Holland’s upcoming film: Garfield, Maguire, Alfred Molina (Doctor Octopus in Maguire’s “Spider-Man 2”), Kirsten Dunst (MJ from the original “Spider-Man” franchise), and Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy from the “Amazing Spider-Man” films).

Shortly after, Maguire — whose most recent acting credit was voice work for the 2017 animated movie “The Boss Baby” — was photographed in the parking lot of Wardrobe Workroom in North Hollywood, California. It’s unclear why the actor was at a costume fitting, but the sighting fueled Spidey rumors. 

spider man peter 8

Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker in “Spider-Man.”

Columbia Pictures


Holland denied reports of Maguire and Garfield returning during interviews with Esquire and “The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon” earlier this year. 

Meanwhile, Garfield laughed off the reports during interviews with Joshua Horowitz, Entertainment Tonight, and Access Hollywood. Stone also told MTV News that she’s not involved. 

The actors could be telling the truth, or they could be lying because they’re sworn to secrecy under Marvel.

The full cast for “No Way Home” is still unclear, but past franchise actors Jamie Foxx and Alfred Molina will reprise their roles. The recently released trailer teased their involvement and hinted at other potential returns, especially given the film’s focus on the multiverse.

“Spider-Man: No Way Home” hits theaters on Friday, December 17. 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here