A baby girl died alone in her cot after her dad neglected her to play games and watch TV all night, a court has heard.
A baby girl died alone in her cot after her dad neglected her to play games and watch TV all night, a court heard.
Michael Conroy, 27, then slept in until 3pm while Kiera Conroy, 19 months, was left unattended in a different room at home in North Lanarkshire.
The baby’s lifeless body was tragically discovered the next day – after Mr Conroy finally awoke at 3pm.
Her parents were getting ready to head out just days before Christmas in 2017 when Kiera was found.
The little girl’s death was initially deemed “unexplained” before further investigations proved otherwise.
Mr Conroy has now appeared at Airdrie Sheriff Court pleading guilty to wilfully causing or procuring her to be ill-treated, neglected and exposed in a manager likely to cause her unnecessary suffering or injury to health.
Kiera’s mum, Kirsty Boyle, also pleaded guilty to the charge, but the court has not yet accepted the plea, the Daily Record reports.
Mr Conroy plead guilty at Airdrie Sheriff Court to “wilfully causing or procuring her to be ill-treated, neglected and exposed in a manner likely to cause her unnecessary suffering or injury to health”.
The charge stated that in the three days before she died Mr Conroy, of Coatbridge, “failed to provide Kiera with adequate nourishment and fluids, left her alone and unattended for excessive periods of time and failed to provide suitable living conditions”.
He also admitted causing his daughter to be exposed to street Valium pills.
Tablets were found within Kiera’s travel cot though there was no suggestion that she had taken any.
“We were both shattered. We did an all-nighter. It’s a bad habit,” Ms Boyle told police.
The couple fell asleep on the couch and didn’t wake until 3pm.
Ms Boyle said she didn’t hear Kiera at that point and “assumed she was asleep”.
Mr Conroy claimed he had given his daughter milk when she woke up during the night and early morning, but Lauren Cole, prosecuting, said police found no food or formula milk in the flat.
Mr Conroy said Kiera “wasn’t too fond of milk and only took it to get to sleep”.
Ms Boyle dialled 999 after finding Kiera “very white, with sick about her mouth”.
Paramedics arrived to find Mr Conroy performing CPR, but nothing could be done to save the child.
The couple were said to be “extremely distressed”.
“A police officer who attended said both Conroy and Boyle looked tired and worn out,” Ms Cole told the court.
“The flat was in an extreme state of untidiness with dirty nappies and rubbish lying around as well as dirty clothes.
“There was un upturned sofa in the living room and the central heating was switched off.”
Defence agent Paul Belardo said social workers have been “heavily involved” with Mr Conroy and Ms Boyle.
Sheriff Fergus Thomson deferred sentence until November for a criminal justice social work report and an electronic tagging assessment.
Mr Conroy had his bail continued.