EVER struggle to remember the lyrics to your favourite song? Turns out you’re in good company – as even Britpop legend Noel Gallagher has revealed he sometimes forgets the words to his classic Oasis tunes.
He told The Sun: “I’ve played Don’t Look Back In Anger a billion times and sometimes I think, ‘What is the first line?’”
So how good is your music memory – pop perfect, or a bit rocky?
We’ve picked out some all-time favourite pop and rock songs. Can you identify them from their first lines alone?
- Load up on guns, bring your friends / It’s fun to lose and to pretend
- Ooh, a storm is threatening my very life today
- ’Cause ’cause ’cause I remember when we used to sit / In a government yard in Trenchtown,
- Out here in the fields / I fight for my meals
- We are the crowd / We’re c-coming out / Got my flash on, it’s true / Need that picture of you
- The warden threw a party in the county jail / The prison band was there, and they began to wail
- You gotta go and get angry at all of my honesty / You know I try but I don’t do too well with apologies
- White lips, pale face / Breathing in snowflakes
- You used to call me on my cell phone / Late night when you need my love
- This thing right here / Is lettin’ all the ladies know / What guys talk about / You know, the finer things in life
- What’s with these homies dissin’ my girl? / Why do they gotta front? / What did we ever do to these guys / That made them so violent?
- On a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair / Warm smell of colitas, rising up through the air
- There must be some kind of way outta here / Said the joker to the thief / There’s too much confusion / I can’t get no relief
- I, I will be king / And you, you will be queen / Though nothing will drive them away / We can beat them, just for one day
- What you want? / (Ooh) Baby, I got it / (Ooh) What you need? / (Ooh) Do you know I got it?
- Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book? / It took me years to write, will you take a look?
- I heard that you’re settled down / That you found a girl and you’re married now / I heard that your dreams came true
- Like the legend of the phoenix / Our ends were beginnings / What keeps the planet spinning / The force from the beginning
- I look and stare so deep in your eyes / I touch on you more and more every time / When you leave, I’m begging you not to go / Call your name two, three times in a row
- Hell is gone and heaven’s here / There’s nothing left for you to fear / Shake your arse, come over here / Now scream
. . . AND A BONUS QUESTION FOR NOEL: Slip inside the eye of your mind / Don’t you know you might find / A better place to play
- Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana
- Gimme Shelter – Rolling Stones
- No Woman No Cry – Bob Marley
- Baba O’Riley – The Who
- Paparazzi – Lady Gaga
- Jailhouse Rock – Elvis Presley
- Sorry – Justin Bieber
- The A Team – Ed Sheeran
- Hotline Bling – Drake
- Thong Song – Sisqo
- Buddy Holly – Weezer
- Hotel California – The Eagles
- All Along The Watchtower – Jimi Hendrix
- Heroes – David Bowie
- Respect – Aretha Franklin
- Paperback Writer – The Beatles
- Someone Like You – Adele
- Get Lucky – Daft Punk
- Crazy In Love – Beyonce
- Let Me Entertain You – Robbie Williams
BONUS QUESTION FOR NOEL: Don’t Look Back In Anger – Oasis