Gaining substantially over its week ago numbers in Total Viewers, CBS’ “The Young and the Restless” tied for number one in Women 25-54 rating and was a strong number two in Women 18-49 rating among all daytime broadcast programs during the week of August 23-27, 2021. The soap averaged 3.502 million viewers for the week, up +60,000 viewers over last week and up +960,000 viewers compared to the same week last year. Week to week the soap was up +0.01 in Women 25-54 rating (0.75 vs 0.74) and held steady in Women 18-49 rating (0.45).
For the fourth consecutive week, “The Bold and the Beautiful” averaged more than three million viewers despite being preempted on the west coast on Monday, August 23 due to CBS Sports coverage of “The Northern Trust” event, part of the PGA Tour season-ending playoffs. In fact, “B&B” was up week to week in Total Viewers (+27,000) and improved in both Women 25-54 rating (+0.01) and Women 18-49 rating (+0.01). The soap was also up +605,000 viewers compared to the same week last year in Total Viewers.
“Days of our Lives” remains up over its pre-Olympics hiatus with its third consecutive week above the 1.7 million viewer mark. The soap attracted 1.722 million viewers for the week, up +17,000 viewers compared to its week ago performance and up +25,000 viewers compared to one year earlier. The soap was down week to week in both Women 25-54 and Women 18-49 rating, however.
Meanwhile, “General Hospital” is trending downward with just 2.102 million viewers, down -75,000 viewers compared to last week. The soap was also down substantially in Women 18-49 rating compared to its performance one week earlier (0.30 vs 0.35). In Women 25-54 rating, the soap was off by -0.03 (0.54 vs 0.57). Compared to its performance one year earlier, “GH” is up just 26,000 viewers while down a severe -0.11 in Women 25-54 rating (0.54 vs 0.65) and -0.12 in Women 18-49 rating (0.30 vs 0.42). In fact, one year earlier the soap was the highest-rated daytime drama series in both demographics but has now fallen to third place among the four broadcast soaps.
On the opposite side, both “Y&R” and “B&B” have built on their year ago performances in each demo by substantial margins: “Y&R” is up +0.23 in Women 25-54 rating and up +0.16 in Women 18-49 rating, and “B&B” is up +0.18 in Women 25-54 rating and +0.08 in Women 18-49 rating.
“The Price is Right,” “Let’s Make a Deal,” “The View” and “The Talk” were all in reruns for the week.
What follows is a breakdown of how the daytime shows performed for the week of August 23-27, 2021, sorted by Women 25-54 rating. A closer look at the daytime soaps, including their daily performance in the demos, will be posted soon.
Week of August 16-20, 2021 Rankers
|wdt_ID||Show (Network)||W25-54 RTG / Share||W18-49 RTG / Share||Household RTG / Share||Total Viewers|
|1||1. The Price is Right 2 (CBS) – R||0.75 / 10||0.47 / 8||2.7 / 13||4,208,000|
|2||1. The Young and the Restless (CBS)||0.75 / 9||0.45 / 7||2.4 /10||3,502,000|
|3||3. The Bold and the Beautiful (CBS)||0.69 / 8||0.39 / 6||2.0 / 9||3,047,000|
|4||4. The Price is Right 1 (CBS) – R||0.67 / 9||0.43 / 8||2.4 / 11||3,715,000|
|5||5. TODAY 3rd Hour (NBC)||0.60||0.41||N/A||N/A|
|6||6. General Hospital (ABC)||0.54 / 6||0.30 / 5||1.5 / 6||2,102,000|
|7||7. Let’s Make a Deal 2 (CBS) – R||0.53 / 7||0.34 / 6||1.8 / 8||2,649,000|
|8||8. Let’s Make a Deal 1 (CBS) – R||0.46 / 6||0.30 / 6||1.5 / 7||2,268,000|
|9||9.TODAY with Hoda & Jenna (NBC)||0.43||0.31||N/A||N/A|
|10||10. Days of our Lives (NBC)||0.40 / 5||0.27 / 4||1.2 / 5||1,722,000|
Note: The numbers above are calculated using Live+Same Day viewing and DVR playback, defined as 3:00 a.m.-3:00 a.m, and are courtesy of Nielsen. Household ratings are the percentage of TV homes in the U.S. tuned into television.
*Notable Preemptions/Schedule Changes
- On Monday, August 23, “The Bold and the Beautiful” was preempted on the west coast due to CBS Sports coverage of “The Northern Trust” event, part of the PGA Tour season-ending playoffs. Its ratings were excluded from the show’s weekly average due to low coverage. The episode was therefore not rated by Nielsen.
- “Days of our Lives” aired for just 44 minutes on Monday, August 23 and just 49 minutes on Thursday, August 26.
- “General Hospital” aired for just 48 minutes on Monday, August 23.
- “GMA3: What You Need to Know” aired for just 56 minutes on Monday, August 23.
- “Let’s Make a Deal” aired reruns all week, and on Monday, August 23, both half hours were preempted on the west coast due to CBS Sports coverage of “The Northern Trust” event, part of the PGA Tour season-ending playoffs. The episode was therefore not rated by Nielsen.
- “The Price is Right” aired reruns all week. The first half-hour of the show aired for just 24 minutes on Thursday, August 26.
- “The Talk” aired reruns all week. Unrounded figures for the show were unavailable. Therefore, we are publishing the available rounded figures in their place. As a result, rounded numbers place the show in a virtual tie with “VIEW-ALT.”
- In reruns, “The View” was retitled to “VIEW-ALT” which does not factor into the show’s season average. On Thursday, August 26, the show aired for just 47 minutes.
- “The Young and the Restless” aired for just 49 minutes on Monday, August 23.