Hollywood is boycotting me over legal drama

Johnny Depp claims his latest film, “Minamata,” hasn’t opened in U.S. theaters yet because he is being “blacklisted” by Hollywood over his ongoing legal issues with his ex-wife Amber Heard.

“We looked these people in the eyeballs and promised we would not be exploitative. That the film would be respectful,” Depp told the British newspaper The Times in an interview published on Saturday. “I believe that we’ve kept our end of the bargain, but those who came in later should also maintain theirs.”

MGM, an American media company, acquired the film for distribution in October, and previously set a Feb. 5 release date.

However, that date was later postponed, and an MGM rep told The Post it was “due to the pandemic and no new date has been set yet.”

“Minamata” follows a war photographer named Eugene Smith (played by Depp) as he documents the effects of mercury poisoning on the citizens of Minamata, Japan.

“Some films touch people,” Depp, 58, told The Times over the weekend. “And this affects those in Minamata and people who experience similar things. And for anything … For Hollywood’s boycott of, erm, me? One man, one actor in an unpleasant and messy situation, over the last number of years?”

The actor then added, “But, you know, I’m moving towards where I need to go to make all that … To bring things to light.”

Andrew Levitas, who directed “Minamata,” appears to back Depp’s claims that film studios are letting the “Pirates of the Caribbean” star’s personal issues get in the way.

According to The Times, the filmmaker wrote a letter to MGM last month, in which he accused the movie studio of being concerned that “the personal issues of an actor in the film could reflect negatively upon them.”

Johnny Depp and Amber Heard
Depp lost a libel case against a tabloid who called him a “wife-beater” following Amber Heard’s allegations.
Getty Images

Levitas also accused MGM of failing in its “moral obligation” to release the film and said it needed to explain to the victims “why you think an actor’s personal life is more important than their dead children.”

Depp and Heard, 35, were married from 2015 to 2017, and were embroiled in a nasty divorce proceeding that consisted of numerous allegations of abuse.

The marriage ended with a temporary restraining order against Depp and later a $7 million settlement, that Heard donated to charity. Earlier this year, a judge refused to let the “Cry Baby” star appeal the case. He was, however, granted a partial petition by a judge in New York, ordering the ACLU to release documents confirming that Heard did donate the money from the divorce settlement.

Despite the case’s ramifications on his career, Depp told The Times he still feels the support from his fans who have “always been my employers.”

“They are all our employers,” he said. “They buy tickets, merchandise. They made all of those studios rich, but they forgot that a long time ago. I certainly haven’t.”

A rep for MGM and Heard did not immediately return Page Six’s request for comment.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here