ONCE you’ve regularly started getting your lips injected with filler, it’s all too easy to forget the risks.
So when social media star Lauren Faulkner went to have hers dissolved earlier this year, it didn’t even cross her mind that she might have an allergic reaction.
In a viral TikTok video, the star – who boasts 22,000 followers – explained how she wanted to film the process to document what she looked like before-and-after filler.
In order to remove lip filler, aestheticians will usually apply a numbing cream before injecting the enzyme hyaluronidase into the lips which will dissolve it.
The clip starts with Lauren getting into her car to kickstart what was meant to be a “getting [her] lip filler dissolved vlog”.
It then jumps ahead to Lauren leaning back in the aesthetician’s chair after having two injections in her lips.
She wrote: “This is where I knew something wasn’t right!
“Two minutes later, my body was covered in hives, I thought I was going to faint.
“My throat started to close and I was struggling to breathe.”
Fortunately, Lauren’s quick-thinking aesthetician is also a registered nurse who recognised the severity of her allergic reaction and called 999.
Lauren then shared shocking photos of how much her face swelled up in mere minutes.
She added: “This is your sign to always make sure your lip tech is medically trained for these situations!!
“I was so lucky as this could have been a lot worse.”
Posting pictures of her swollen lips, cheeks and eyes, Lauren wrote: “I’ve had my lips done before at the same place with the same product and there was no reaction!!
Symptoms of anaphylaxis
Think you know what an anaphylaxic shock looks like? It might be a lot more subtle than you think.
Initial symptoms can include:
- Tingling sensations of lips, tongue and throat
- Feeling unwell with light-headedness
- Itchy rash
- Swelling of the face, throat or skin)
- Acute abdominal pain
- Exacerbation of eczema
- Anaphylactic shock
Anaphylactic shock tends to come on suddenly and gets worse very quickly.
- Feeling lightheaded, dizzy or faint
- Fast or shallow breathing
- A fast heartbeat
- Clammy skin
- Confusion and anxiety
- Collapsing or losing consciousness
She captioned the video: “Can’t say I’d recommend anaphylaxis…”
Since it was posted yesterday, the clip has racked up over 553,000 views – and people were shocked by Lauren’s extreme reaction.
“Oh my god,” one replied. “You must have been absolutely terrified.”
Another added: “Did she not patch test you? That’s so bad if she didn’t.”
Meanwhile, a third wrote: “I’m so scared now!!”
For more viral stories, this man’s life was ‘saved’ by TikTok users who spotted warning sign in video.
And this woman smelt of wet dog after nightmare skin condition turned her into an alien.
Plus this ‘infertile’ cancer patient gets huge shock when test results come back.