An eerie old estate that once belonged to a King has sat derelict in Surrey for nearly 70 years.
The secret Stanwell Place manor is based mere minutes from Heathrow Airport – near the quiet village of Stanwell – but few people know of its existence.
Stanwell Place was once the site of a massive manor house, tenant farms and an associated estate with a surrounding park.
Spread over 300 acres, the estate and house were built at least 250 years ago and the beautiful final building was erected in the early 1800s.
The Ivy-covered property was a very important base for the British army during World War 2, but soon after the war it was bought by a very influential homeowner.
Who owned Stanwell Place?
Before its ruin in the 1960s, Stanwell Place was owned by the King Faisal II – a member of the Iraqi royal family.
King Faisal bought the house when he was 13 years old – it was supposed to be a base for the young King while he studied at the nearby Harrow School.
The Iraqi King was known to enjoy his visits to England and many locals had happy memories of Faisal and his family.
Sadly, King Faisal was assassinated in 1958 during a coup in Iraq – however he owned the grand house up until his death.
Left to disrepair – Stanwell Place was eventually sold off to a gravel extraction company – much to the locals’ anger.
Now, history buffs can visit the site and see the towering 18th century pillars, or stay in the old gate house which is available to rent.
For more incredible stories from the Daily Star, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.