Nicki Minaj said she was invited to the White House to discuss COVID-19 after claiming the vaccine can cause impotence – but an official has shot down her claim, saying the rapper was only offered a phone call with a doctor.
“The White House has invited me & I think it’s a step in the right direction. Yes, I’m going. I’ll be dressed in all pink like Legally Blonde so they know I mean business,” the 38-year-old rap superstar said in a tweet Wednesday.
“I’ll ask questions on behalf of the ppl who have been made fun of for simply being human,” Minaj added.
However, a White House official refuted her claim about being invited in person, saying the singer was simply offered a call.
“As we have with others, we offered a call with Nicki Minaj and one of our doctors to answer questions she has about the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine,” the official told Fox News.
But Minaj doubled down and insisted she was indeed invited to the White House, but that she suggested a “Live” online session instead because she doesn’t want to travel due to the pandemic.
“Do y’all think that I would go on the Internet and lie about being invited to the … White House?” she said on Instagram, according to Newsweek.
She wrote: “We’d like to offer Nicki an invitation to come to the White House to speak with two people… the two names… um, what is that man’s name… Dr. Fauci and with the surgeon general.”
Minaj continued: “And do you know what I said? I said, ‘Well, I would rather not have to travel, can we do something like a [Instagram] Live’ and they said that they’re open to me choosing a platform to do a Live but they never have taken that off the table for me to come to the White House.”
In response to the statement from the White House, she added: “And then just imagine someone saying, ‘Oh, no, we offered Nicki Minaj the same phone call we offer everybody else.’ What? You think they would offer that to Mookie in the projects. No. ‘Everybody else.’
“And I see why a lot of celebrities keep themselves bubbled up. You understand? We’re living in a place without free healthcare. So anybody in this country has the right to question anything about their health,” she said, according to Newsweek.
The “Starships” singer made headlines this week when she skipped the Met Gala and tweeted her more than 22.6 million followers that it required attendees to be vaccinated. She said she wouldn’t get the jab until “I feel I’ve done enough research.”
Minaj later shared an unverified story about a cousin’s friend in Trinidad and claimed the unidentified person “became impotent” and “his testicles became swollen” after receiving the shot.
Dr. Anthony Fauci dismissed her claim as misinformation.
“There’s no evidence that it happens, nor is there any mechanistic reason to imagine that it would happen,” the nation’s top infectious diseases expert said Tuesday on CNN.
Meanwhile, Minaj also told her followers on Instagram that she had been placed in “Twitter jail” for her controversial remarks and vowed to never use the platform again, according to Fox Business.
“I’m in Twitter jail y’all,” she proclaimed Wednesday. “They didn’t like what I was saying over there on that block, I guess my poll was gonna be asking questions is OK I like being fkng dumb then boom. Can’t tweet.”
Minaj later added: “Look at what they just did. I will never use Twitter again. First of all, I didn’t give any facts about any vaccine… I didn’t give any facts about anything,” according to Newsweek.
But a Twitter rep later told BuzzFeed that the platform “did not take any enforcement action in the account.”
In another development, a government minister in Trinidad and Tobago said officials in the country “wasted so much time” trying to confirm Minaj’s bizarre claims about the shot’s reproductive side effects.
“As we stand now, there is absolutely no reported side effect or adverse event of testicular swelling in Trinidad… and none that we know of anywhere in the world,” Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh told reporters, the BBC reported.