Perth man buys pet kangaroo mince due to Woolworths aisle mistake

Woolies has apologised after a staff error saw a Perth man come extremely close to making an epic food error.

A Perth man has hit out at Woolworths claiming he nearly ate mince meant for dogs due to its store placement.

The incident has prompted Woolworths to arrange extra training for staff at the store, with the supermarket stressing that it takes food safety “very seriously”.

In a complaint posted to the store’s Facebook page, the man said he went to the supermarket’s South Fremantle store on October 1 and spotted some reduced kangaroo mince “in the cake fridge”.

The man bought two packets and was preparing them for a meal when he realised they were actually intended for animal consumption only.

“I was preparing some patties and adding extra ingredients when my son noticed a small dog picture on the packaging and to my horror I realised that this was actually pet food,” he said.

The man said he spoke to the store manager and received a refund, however, was dismayed on his next visit to see pet food stored “in the cakes fridge with yoghurts and orange juice”.

“I found this very upsetting and felt not listened to by the management,” he said, also claiming that he had sought advice from a health representative.

Even just handling raw meat intended for pets can post a health risk to humans as their food is not legally required to undergo bacterial testing, which can detect whether it contains salmonella or E. coli.

Woolworths told they take food safety “very seriously” and were “disappointed to have missed the mark on this occasion”.

“We understand the customer’s frustration and have been in contact to apologise for their regrettable experience,” a spokeswoman said.

“We’ve followed up with the store directly who will arrange extra training for all team members on our mark down procedures.”

This complaint comes just days after a vegan blasted Coles on Twitter, claiming the supermarket’s product placement in the freezer section had seen her accidentally eat meat.

The shopper was furious a product that was free from gluten and wheat but not animals was placed in a fridge that was otherwise full of vegan products.

She shared a photo of a Coles fridge which showed a shelf of “I’m Free From” products placed between rows of plant-based foods.

The complaint created quite a stir among Twitter users, some agreeing the placement was a clumsy choice while others argued the woman should have read the box before buying it.

Read related topics:PerthWoolworths


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here