Police mock motorists after ‘100 strong’ queue forms outside closed petrol station

People queued for up to three hours in an attempt to access the petrol station in Burnaston, Derbyshire, even though it had been closed for some time after being vandalised

Police officers were called to a closed petrol station after a 100 strong queue formed

Police have mocked panic buyers after a ‘100 strong’ queue formed outside a closed petrol station – and some of the hapless motorists waited for over three hours.

The emergency services were called to the remote village of Burnaston, Derbyshire, after reports came in of huge congestion and long tailbacks.

When officers from Derbyshire Constabulary arrived, they found over 100 drivers waiting to enter a Gulf petrol station – all of them seemingly unaware it had closed down.

They said that people had been queueing for ‘several hours’, and posted on Facebook to highlight the drivers ‘fuel-ish’ behaviour.

Some of the drivers had waited for over three hours


Swadlincote Police SNT / SWNS)

What do you think about the massive queue? Let us know in the comments

Writing on the force’s Swadlincote Police SNT page, they said: “We were called to a rural garage near Burnaston today following reports of queues of traffic in the local area.

“Arriving at the unmanned petrol station on the extremely fast-flowing A516 roadway, officers observed long queues of cars attempting to enter the petrol station.

“Bizarrely, it soon became clear that the drivers had been queuing at a petrol station for several hours despite the fact that the garage was not open to the public and was unable to serve fuel following unknown persons who had caused damage to some of the petrol and diesel pumps.”

Officers later mocked the foolish drivers


Swadlincote Police SNT)

Police attempted to explain the situation to drivers who had been sitting in their cars for “over three hours”, adding that it wasn’t a very fuel-efficient decision.

They added: “With regret, officers, who were stood outside in pouring rain directing traffic, were subjected to abuse and a series of inexplicable excuses of why they needed to enter a closed garage that was unable to sell fuel.

For more of the news you care about, straight to your inbox, sign up for one of our daily newsletters here.

“An investigation is underway to locate two men in a white van who made threats to an officer at the scene after they were asked to leave the petrol station.”

Incredibly, one irate driver told officers he was so desperate to refill his car, he had been driving for over three hours looking for fuel “and was furious”.

The force said: “When asked how much fuel he’d used looking for petrol he finally appeared to grasp the lack of solid ground his argument stood upon.”

Do you have a story to share? We’d love to hear all about it. Get in touch via [email protected]

Read More

Read More


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here