- Prince Andrew was served with a lawsuit last month accusing him of sexual abuse.
- A process server left the documents with an officer at the Duke of York’s address, a court filing said.
- Prince Andrew has previously denied Giuffe’s allegations and said he doesn’t recall knowing her.
Prince Andrew has been served with a lawsuit in the United States accusing him of sexually abusing a teenage girl, according to court documents.
The lawsuit was filed last month by Virginia Giuffre, one of Jeffrey Epstein’s accusers who has said the Duke of York sexually abused her in the early 2000s at Epstein’s mansion in New York City, when she was just 17 years old.
Court documents unsealed Friday and obtained by Insider showed that a process server delivered the lawsuit to a police officer on August 27 at the Royal Lodge in Windsor, England, where Prince Andrew lives.
The process server said in the documents that he originally tried to serve Prince Andrew on August 26, but was told that security staff “had been instructed not to allow anyone attending there for the purpose of serving court process onto the grounds of the property.”
The process server returned the next day and left the documents with a police officer, who promised to forward them to Prince Andrew’s legal team.
The process server said in the documents he asked whether he could meet with Prince Andrew personally to deliver the papers, but “was told that this was not possible.” He also asked about Prince Andrew’s whereabouts, but the police officer declined to answer.
Giuffre’s lawsuit alleged that she was recruited into Eptein’s sex-trafficking ring by his longtime associate, Ghislaine Maxwell. Giuffre has alleged that she was repeatedly sexually abused by Epstein and others between 2000 and 2002, including by Prince Andrew on three occasions: once in New York City, once in London at Maxwell’s home, and once on Epstein’s private island, known as Little St. James, in the US Virgin Islands.
Representatives for Prince Andrew did not immediately provide Insider with a comment.
The Duke of York has repeatedly denied Giuffre’s allegations, and said he doesn’t recall ever having known her. In a July 2020 statement to Insider, Prince Andrew’s representatives “categorically” denied “any suggestion of impropriety with underage minors.”