ROALD Dahl is famous for his books for children – but the insightful nature of his words often rings true for adults.
Take a trip down memory lane with some of the author’s funniest, wisest and meaningful quotes.
What are Roald Dahl’s best quotes about life?
From The Twits and The Witches to Matilda and The BFG, Roald Dahl came up with some memorable quotes.
Here are some of the best…
- “A life is made up of a great number of small incidents and a small number of great ones.” – Roald Dahl
- “It’s impossible to make your eyes twinkle if you aren’t feeling twinkly yourself.” – Danny, the Champion of the World
- “A little nonsense now and then, is cherished by the wisest men.” – Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator
- “A person who has good thoughts cannot ever be ugly. You can have a wonky nose and a crooked mouth and a double chin and stick-out teeth, but if you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” – The Twits
- “It doesn’t matter who you are or what you look like, so long as somebody loves you.” – The Witches
- “Never do anything by halves if you want to get away with it. Be outrageous. Go the whole hog.” – Matilda
- “I began to realise how important it was to be an enthusiast in life. He taught me that if you are interested in something, no matter what it is, go at it at full speed ahead. Embrace it with both arms, hug it, love it, and above all become passionate about it. Lukewarm is no good. Hot is no good either. White hot and passionate is the only thing to be.” – My Uncle Oswald
- “Most of the really exciting things we do in our lives scare us to death. They wouldn’t be exciting if they didn’t.” – Danny, the Champion of the World
- “Two rights don’t equal a left.” – The BFG
- “Grown ups are complicated creatures, full of quirks and secrets.” – Danny, The Champion of the World
- “Nothing is any fun if you can get as much of it as you want. Especially money.” – The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar and Six More
What are Roald Dahl’s best quotes about the world?
- “And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” – The Minpins
- “There are a whole lot of things in this world of ours you haven’t even started wondering about yet.” – James and the Giant Peach
- “Somewhere inside all of us is the power to change the world.” – Matilda
- “Well, maybe it started that way. As a dream, but doesn’t everything. Those buildings. These lights. This whole city. Somebody had to dream about it first. And maybe that is what I did. I dreamed about coming here, but then I did it.” – James and the Giant Peach
What are Roald Dahl’s best quotes about reading and writing?
- “Books shouldn’t be daunting, they should be funny, exciting and wonderful; and learning to be a reader gives a terrific advantage.” – Roald Dahl
- “If you are going to get anywhere in life you have to read a lot of books.” – Roald Dahl
- “A person is a fool to become a writer. His only compensation is absolute freedom. He has no master except his own soul, and that, I am sure, is why he does it.” – Roald Dahl
- “Our children are marvellous… and happy, and I like to think that all my storytelling has contributed a little bit to their happiness.” – Roald Dahl
When is Roald Dahl Day?
This is everything you need to know about Roald Dahl Day, which celebrates the author’s birthday every September 13.
Chances are you’ve been saying Dahl’s name wrong your whole life.
Here’s how to correctly pronounce it, according to the author himself.
And Dahl has been named the greatest storyteller of all time.