A student was shot and injured at a North Carolina high school on Wednesday, local authorities confirmed, sending the school into lockdown as authorities searched for the suspect.
The shooting took place on the eighth day of the school year at Mount Tabor High School in Winston-Salem.
The school was placed on lockdown at just about 12 p.m. local time, the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office said in a tweet. All other students were safe and were transported to a nearby Harris Teeter shopping center to be reunited with their families.
“Many schools in the area are also on lockdown out of an abundance of caution,” the Sheriff’s department said in another tweet. “There has not been another incident but it is out of an abundance of caution.”
—Forsyth Co Sheriff’s Office NC (@gofcsonc) September 1, 2021
The Sherriff’s office in a subsequent tweet acknowledged another “disturbance” in the Harris Teeter parking lot but said there was no confirmation of another shooting and there were no injuries stemming from the incident.
After the incident, North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper tweeted, “For the second time this week we have seen a shooting in a North Carolina school. Our prayers are with the victims, their families, and all the students of Mt. Tabor High School in Winston-Salem.”
—Governor Roy Cooper (@NC_Governor) September 1, 2021
Cooper added that he had been briefed on the shooting by law enforcement.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.