Thousands of Brits could be owed hundreds of pounds from incorrect tax codes

You could be owed a lot of money by having the wrong tax code on your payslip.

But luckily you can claim it back by checking you’re paying the right amount of tax.

This year has seen some of the tax codes change so it’s always worth double-checking if everything’s right.

If you’ve recently moved jobs, not given your new workplace your P45 or filled in a starter form, you could have the wrong code.

So if this happens, the tax office will place you on the emergency tax code until you contact them.

Many Brits will have had letters arrive in the post from February telling them what their tax code is for the 2021/22 tax year.

It could be that you’ve changed jobs recently
(Image: Getty Images/EyeEm)

But if you didn’t get the letter, or can’t find it, there are many ways to check your code.

Your tax code will be displayed on your payslip, right under your National Insurance number.

Also your company has to provide you with a payslip, you can ask your employer for help if you don’t know how to access it.

You can also use the government’s online tax checker tool to view your tax code.

To find out if your tax code is wrong, you can do this by using the HMRC’s online tool.

And if it’s wrong, contact HMRC to let them know on 0300 200 3300.

The government website will write to you or email you if they change your code.

How much you get depends on what tax code you were put on, your salary and the amount you should have been charged.

Tax assessment
The new tax year started in April
(Image: Getty Images)

In some cases, it could be a few hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

If you’re struggling to work out how much you should get back, you can ask help from Citizens Advice or TaxAid.

A National Insurance rise could add hundreds of pounds a year to tax bills for Brits.

Leave a Comment