The family of missing boy William Tyrrell were ‘devastated’ to learn through the media that police are reportedly pursuing a new suspect in the case.
The foster family of missing boy William Tyrrell said they were “devastated” to learn through the media that police are pursuing a new suspect in the case.
A post on a website dedicated to searching for the boy said news stories about the new development were hurtful and inconsiderate to the family.
“It’s almost seven years since William was abducted and once again we find ourselves preparing to deal with the grief and loss compounded by years of not knowing what happened to our boy or where he is,” the post said.
“Once again we are forced to watch others objectify William for personal gain.”
The statement came after The Daily Telegraph reported investigators were closing in on a person of interest previously ruled out in the case and are set to interview the suspect.
William Tyrrell was three years old when he went missing from his foster grandmother’s home in Kendall, about 36km from Port Macquarie, on September 12, 2014.
As the seventh anniversary of William’s disappearance approaches on Sunday, NSW Police stressed a $1m reward remained in place for an information that could solve the mystery of his fate.
Police would not confirm the report but said Strike Force Rosann detectives were not resting in their pursuit of William and who might have taken him.
“The NSW Police Force remains committed to finding William Tyrrell and investigations by the homicide squad’s Strike Force Rosann, led by Detective Chief Inspector David Laidlaw, are ongoing,” the police said in a statement.
“Strike force detectives are continuing to conduct interviews, searches and other investigative activity, including those under coronial orders, as well as reviewing all material with the assistance of various experts.”
The statement on the website wherestyrrell.com, which is understood to be run by the boy’s foster parents, said the media shouldn’t lose sight of the family’s grief when reporting on the case.
“Time and time again we’ve watched people lose sight of the tragic reality that William was a precious, innocent little boy who was taken from those he loved and who love him deeply, forgetting that there is a heartbroken family waiting in hope that William will be found,” the statement said.
“To publish unverified claims, without consideration to the hurt that articles of this nature cause is disrespectful and devastating to everyone who knows and loves William.”
The exhaustive investigation into William Tyrrell’s disappearance was one of the largest undertaken in NSW, and more than 600 persons of interest were identified.