When it comes to General Hospital, every fan has their own opinion – and Soap Hub is no different. For five days, we sat and watched the good, the bad, and everything in between, and now we offer you a handy review, and a cheeky critique, of the GH week that was.
General Hospital: A Critic’s Week In Review
Not to flog a dead horse, but Sonny Corinthos’s (Maurice Benard) return home was a bit of a let down, huh? We expected fireworks…and received nary a spark. Much to our dismay, Sonny didn’t even wonder why his wife and his best friend were in a bedroom together, their arms draped around one another; surely after hearing that the two wed, he should have been a little suspicious that maybe something romantic had developed between them…but Nah; he just gave them a thumbs up and kept it moving.
Next order of business – letting his offspring know that he was alive and well; thank God someone on the writing staff remembered to include Kristina Corinthos; Lexi Ainsworth deserves all the kudos for that full-body, ugly cry and bear hug she wrapped Maurice in – gave us ALL the feels! Actually, made this whole mess somewhat worthwhile; when will The Powers That Be at General Hospital wise up and put this phenom on contract?!
Come the next morning, Sonny sauntered over to the headstone his family had installed for him – no doubt wondering if their love for him was reflected in the size of the marker.
When Nina Reeves (Cynthia Watros) approached, he took the opportunity to ream her for all her trespasses – and the whole scene made this reviewer realize that he doesn’t feel a lick of sympathy for either party.
Nina did a bad, bad thing…one that probably shouldn’t be forgiven. However, Sonny’s huffing and puffing and screeching about how Nina led him on and kept him from his family, and how his circumstances were all her fault really chaffed.
Phyllis Caulfield (Joyce Guy), and hubby Lenny encouraged “Mike” time and time again to reach out to somebody that could help him uncover his identity; heck, NINA encouraged him to figure out who the heck he really was. But time and time again, “Mike” replied, “Nope, I’m good.”
And NOW he says that he always felt like something was missing? If he truly felt that way, he would have taken any one of those opportunities to investigate his past. How about some personal responsibility here?
Further GH Musings
* Esme Prince (Avery Kristen Pohl) has obviously done her homework on Ryan Chamberlin (Jon Lindstrom) AND Kevin Collins (Jon Lindstrom), but why? Might she be a secret sister to the men? A daughter of Ryan’s? Either way, with Trina Robinson (Sydney Mikayla) and Company on her trail, it’s only a matter of time before the truth outs.
* How was Sonny able to just walk up the supposedly heavily fortified Corinthos Compound and enter it without a single guardsman halting his progress, or at least calling Carly to let her know the zombie of dead husband was coming up the drive?
* Given that he’s obviously been devising a long con to lure Liesl Obrecht (Kathleen Gati) into his clutches, what’s the probability that Victor Cassadine (Charles Shaughnessy) fudged Britt Westbourne’s (Kelly Thiebaud) test results, and she doesn’t actually possess the genetic marker for Huntington’s Disease?
And what top-secret project does Victor want Liesl’s help with? Is he, like Helena before him, obsessed with bringing back to life deceased Cassadine?
* Re: Hamilton Finn (Michael Easton) saying that Violet (Jophielle Love) didn’t get to conclude her camping trip because of Scott Baldwin’s (Kin Shriner) interruption…didn’t he and Elizabeth Webber (Rebecca Herbst) state at the time that she and Aiden (Enzo De Angelis) remained in the woods with Harrison Chase (Josh Swickard)?
* Best Keeping With Character Moment: Sonny’s reaction to Franco Baldwin’s death; “No big loss.”
* Let’s hope that Sonny’s isn’t just all talk when it comes to Phyllis. She’s lost her husband, and her business, so she could really use a helping hand right about now.
* Readers, you decide: Did Maxie Jones (Kirsten Storms) take Nina’s confession a little too in stride? Or, was her reaction justified?
General Hospital (GH) airs weekdays on ABC. Check your local listings for airtimes. For more about what’s coming up in Port Charles, check out all the latest that’s been posted on GH spoilers, and for an in-depth look at the show’s history, click here.